Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Wilshere signs new 'long-term' contract with Arsenal


Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has been rewarded for his remarkable progress this season with a new "long-term" contract at Emirates Stadium.Wilshere, 18, has secured a prominent role in the Arsenal starting line-up and also became the tenth youngest player to represent England when appearing as a substitute in a friendly win over Hungary in August.

The midfielder is the youngest player to represent Arsenal in league and European competition and Arsene Wenger has welcomed news that the versatile player has pledged his future to the Gunners.

"It's such great news that Jack has committed his long-term future to the club," Wenger told the club's official website. "Jack is a fantastic footballer with a huge amount of potential, and we have all seen with his performances so far that he is a very gifted player, who could be an extremely influential player at the top level of the game.

"At still only 18 years of age, there is still so much more to come from him and we're all excited by the fact that Jack Wilshere will be an Arsenal player for years to come."

Wilshere made his first impression for the first team during the Emirates Cup of 2008 and, after being handed Gilberto Silva's No. 19 shirt at the age of just 16, scored his first goal for Arsenal in a Carling Cup tire against Sheffield United in September of the same year.

However, it was a loan spell at Bolton last season that saw Wilshere become a familiar face in the Premier League and he has built on that experience with his form in the early part of the 2010-11 season, leading to England recognition.

Wilshere said: "Arsenal Football Club has been like a second home for me and my family since I was nine years old. To be offered a new contract means everything to me.

"At this point in my career, when I'm only 18 years old and still learning so much about the game and myself, this is the perfect club, the perfect team-mates, the perfect fans, the perfect backroom staff and most importantly, the perfect manager to help continue that.

"I've got a long way to go before I can become the player I dream of becoming and I'm sure I'll keep making the odd mistake, but it is a massive help for me having a special manager like Arsene Wenger and so many quality team-mates and the unbelievable Arsenal fans around me. I believe there is a lot more to come from me.

"I've been at the club for almost ten years already, so I would like to thank everyone that has been part of getting me this far, especially people like Liam Brady, Roy Massey and all his staff at the Hale End Academy. Also Neil Banfield, Steve Bould, academy coach Steve Leonard, academy scout Bob Arber, assistant head of youth development David Court, all the backroom staff, Arsene Wenger, all my team-mates and, of course, my family."

No comments:

Post a Comment